My Journey to Becoming Clean, Green and Soulful.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

What Dee's Dehydrating Today...

Someone recently referred to this as
"milking the almond tittie!"
I literally laughed out loud :)
 Creamy Almond Milk
Dee Wilcox, June 2012
Hi there! I've been soaking raw almonds in water in the dehydrator (on very low) for about 15 hours maybe? I dumped, strained, rinsed, drained and poured them into the food processor. (Wish I had that Vitamix...)

I wrapped it up, the way I do (referring to previous blog with Creamy Almond Milk) and began the process. 

I pulsed them until a wet, almond crumble, and then flipped the bad boy "on" and poured, slowly, about 3 cups of water.
After about 5 minutes, or whenever I felt the base getting hot :( I  turned it off and let everything drip into the bottom. 

Then it all gets poured into this sack (note to self: still need to get a nut milk bag from JUSTFOOD!)

I cinch the string and  slowly squeeze the sack. Be be sure to have a large bowl underneath because there is a  lot of milk and it doesn't exactly come out in a nice stream, like breastmilk.
Here is what remains...

About 3 cups of Almond Milk
About 10 pounds of Almond Crumble

*I hear the nut milk bag can get more milk and thus less pulp, which is a good thing! I really need to invest...

I always freeze this in hopes of using it in the future, and only recently started following through on this goal.

Yesterday and this morning I posted 2 blogs that used Almond Crumble in their cookies...both were delicious!

I LOVE Creamy Almond Milk. Maybe my version is creamy because small almond granules get through the bag and make my milk a little thicker? Not sure. But either way, it is so good and so simple and so healthy!

Sweet Potato Wraps
Inspired by Mimi Kirk, but my own recipe
Dee Wilcox, June 2012

 INGREDIENTS:
4                       Medjool Dates (soaked in water until soft)
2-3    Cups       Sweet Potato
1"                     Ginger (grated)
2       shakes     Cinnamon (I just ran out my fresh)
2       Tbsp        Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2                    Ripe Banana
1/2     Cup         Hulled Raw Hemp Seeds
1/2     Cup         Raw Chia Meal (ground chia seeds)
Lots    of            Water!
DIRECTIONS:

~Pit the dates. Very important!

~Pulse dates until they are pasty.

~Add everything except seeds and run until smooth.

~ Add seeds and blend.
Before seeds

After seeds.

After water.
~Add enough water to make it pourable but still thick...like a pancake batter.

Another note to self: get more of these sheets.
(Excalibur Dehydrators website perhaps?)
~Poured 3 blobs of batter and shaped them evenly into circles.

~Dehydrated on 105 for 5 hours.

~Flipped over onto normal mesh screen.

~Spooned 3 more blobs and circled them.

~Put both trays back in for 5 more hours.

~ Plyable wraps are done. Flip second batch onto mesh. Repeat.

Will post pictures of the final wraps tomorrow...

Mix it all in a big bowl and let it sit to marinate for ~10 minutes.
Dehydrate 105 for 3 hours. Done.
Good luck getting them to a bowl before eating them all!
 Cajun Kale Chips
Dee Wilcox, June 2012

Kale, any kind of your choosing
Sea Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Black Pepper
Nutritional Yeast
Turmeric
Curry Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder
Dried Mango
this is so nothing special, I can't put my name on it!

Cut Mango into thin slices
Place on tray
Dehydrate 105 for about 1 day.

That's it! They are a delicious snack for tomorrow :)



As usual, my little helper bee :)

Mentioned: JUSTFOOD, Mimi Kirk Excalibur DehydratorVitamix Blender

Have a Sunshine Day!


"A daughter may outgrow your lap,
But she will never outgrown your heart."
~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment