My Journey to Becoming Clean, Green and Soulful.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sow Your Seeds. Eat Your Oats.

The annual Comstock and Ferre Heirloom Seed Festival was on Sunday! After months of being on our calendar, we found ourselves arriving at the fair with a mere 2 hours left...


Dressed for the occasion! This gentleman was selling his handmade windsor (?) chairs.


Hand-dipped candles


I love the look of them hanging like this.


 AJ has been saving all of our old wax from used candles for a few years because he wants to make our own like this. It's a good way to use up the last of what we already have, since we are in the process of buying soy candles, if any. Mostly we just burn incense and use essential oils.


Live music!


Fun homemade jewelry.


Many tents were coming down by the time we got there...not to mention we got a flash thunderstorm out of nowhere and most of the merchants huts were knocked down and blown away and it became a frantic mess :( I felt badly for them and attempted to help one of them with the goodies I have selected fumbling in my own hands.


Boo :( Blurry, but beautiful old scale.


More classic farming attire.


The "shower" we took on our sprint back to the car. Buddha clung on to my chest in the Ergo with the pretty "hood" snapped on for protection from the rain on her head. Her little legs and arms were getting wet but she  had a big smile on her face the whole time. Baby skin is so sensitive and excitable. All of these sensations are firsts for her, and it must be a strange and fascinating thing! In my mind I wondered why it would have been that bad to have let her feel the wet droplets on her scalp as well, and then just pat her dry once she was in the car? Perhaps next time...


What happens when you leave a baby in the back seat with the marigolds :)

I made a delicious raw brunch yesterday! I started it the night before. My meal was sprouted oatmeal and it was sooooo good and soooo filling.




I love my nut 'n' seed shelf :)


After soaking my almonds over night in water in the dehydrator (for warmth, not necessary), I poured the entire contents of the jar into my food processor and jimmy-rigged this spray shield (again, my fear of getting wet?!) and let her go for a good few minutes while I cleaned up my work space. This is just one of the thousands of times that I would love "The Vitamix 3000" as my best friend and I lovingly refer to it.


Poured the blended almond into this fine mesh bag back into its original jar.


Unfold the bag.


And squeeze!!! My favorite part. It feels so good. Like kneading dough.


The almond crumble, or whatever it's called, that is leftover.
 I always freeze this with the intention of using it in a recipe eventually...hasn't yet happened :)


Creamy, delicious, Almond Milk!
No animals were harmed in the process. 


I poured it over sprouted oat groats, pecans, raisins and mashed banana. It was absolutely wonderful!


Our first organic, homegrown snap peas are ready! They were sooo good!
One of the pods was an empty sack though :( Sad.

HAVE A SUNSHINE DAY!



"Keep close to Nature's heart...
and break clear away, once in awhile,
and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods.
Wash your spirit clean."
~John Muir


Mentioned: Comstock and FerreVitamix Blender

1 comment:

  1. You are so knowledgeable on so many topics, it's inspiring. My favorite takeaway though: what happens when you leave a baby in the back seat with the marigolds hehe!

    ReplyDelete