My Journey to Becoming Clean, Green and Soulful.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Raw Recipes: Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich

There has been such an interest among my real-life friends, Instagram followers and fellow Facebookers for requests of some of my recipes that I've been posting pictures of lately. I am happy to share :)


Chocolate Raw Ice Cream Sandwiches

(Inspired by Mimi Kirk, but my own recipe)
Dee Wilcox, June 2012

INGREDIENTS:
these are all rough estimates, as I usually concoct what feels right

1     Cup       Almond Meal (ground up almonds or crumble/pulp leftover from making almond milk)
1/4  cup      Coconut Flakes, ground into a powder
1/4  cup      Cacao Powder
2     Tbsp    Raw Agave
3                   Medjool Dates (soaked in water until soft, I also put mine in dehydrator)
pinch           Sea Salt

DIRECTIONS:

~In this order, I gradually pulsed these ingredients into my food processor and they formed a beautiful dark dough.

~I encourage tasting throughout the process. The individual flavors alone as well as married together have such a lovely effect on your pallet and your body. It's good to adjust spices or flavors if you feel like it.

I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients and the mixed dough (like I did with the Creamy Almond Milk in a previous post), but below is a demonstration with a different raw cookie dough...Lemon Poppy Seed Peanut Cacao Cookies (more on those tomorrow).

Roll dough into small balls, maybe the size of a cherry.
Place small glass into large glass filled with water.
Press down with small glass onto dough ball.
Peel off shaped dough carefully.
Lay on dehydrator (or parchment paper-lined baking sheet).
Repeat. Making sure to dip small glass into water before each press.
Made 37 cookies, but really almost 40...I had to sample, of course!
Put in dehydrator on 105 for 4 hours. Flip. Sample.
Many hours later, or for me overnight, they became cookies!
Firm, chewy, flavorful, special cookies!
And they're raw!
(If using an oven I would bake them on the lowest temperature possible
and check frequently as they might get harder faster?)
Raw Chocolate Ice Cream (and Penelope)
~Take freshly blended Raw Ice Cream (has been in other posts, but will make a recipe for it soon in another blog) and place a spoonful onto one cookie and top it with another cookie.

~Freeze immediately.

~Eat the leftover ice cream, if there is any :)


30 minutes later a sample is needed to determine quality, of course.
Can I just say, I LOVE experimenting with raw recipes!
This, served with Creamy Almond Milk, is delicious.
As you can see, I have lots of help in the kitchen :)

Mentioned: Mimi Kirk

Have a Sunshine Day!

"Enthusiasm is the most important thing in life."
~Tennessee Williams


1 comment:

  1. Dee these look so absolutely amazing. I will have to try, although I tend to not be as successful in my cooking endeavors as you. Or I may just be stopping by to raid your kitchen... :)
    Keep the inspiration coming!

    ReplyDelete