My Journey to Becoming Clean, Green and Soulful.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rhythms of Nature (Summer Solstice, E.C., Lunar Gardening, Seasonal Eating)

Today is a very important day historically, globally and seasonally. It is Summer Solstice! Many cultures have celebrations surrounding the longest day of the year and I myself had wanted to throw a Solstice Soiree this year, but alas, another plan that went un-follow-through'd :(

Summer Solstice is the day of the year (almost always on June 20 or 21 in the Northern Hemisphere) when the sun stays in our sky longer than any other day of the year. It is a great day to charge your spirit, get reconnected to the planet, and appreciate the come and go effects of this giant burning star. The sun and the moon effect the tides, sap flow and personalities. We are all connected to the rhythms of nature.


There are really great traditions worldwide surrounding Summer Solstice. The energy of the solstice is a powerful one, with the ability to catapult change and encourage motivation today, with its power slowly waning until the Winter Solstice. Any new ventures or creative ideas should be set into motion today.

I personally plan to finish planting the last of my seeds and plants (still have a few marigolds left to bury in some dirt from the Heirloom Seed Festival that I wrote about a few blogs ago...) as well as take a dip in the lake at Muzzie and Papas house later on. To keep up with today's launch, the weather is a soaring 100 degrees, with no breeze. Adelaide was awake for 8 hours before I finally just got her down for a nap...poor thing was probably overheated :( I let her play nakey most of the morning and afternoon to help keep cool.

On her potty seat at 4 months old
Actually, at home she goes naked or at least diaperless more often than not. We practice E.C. (Elimination Communication) and it helps to catch any cues she might give while in the buff. When out and about (or when I'm being a lazy, busy Mama) she wears cloth, bamboo or hemp diapers. I really recommend the website http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/ and the book Diaper Free by Ingrid Bauer to anyone interested in going diaperless or at least trying to potty train earlier.
Ada sitting on her makeshift potty at 3.5 months old

I learned several years ago about something called Lunar Gardening in the book Cultivating Delight by Diane Ackerman (a gift from my sister!). As mentioned before, the sun and moon effect tides, sap flow and personalities. The time of the month has a direct relationship with the results of the seeds that you plant. I believe that the average package of seeds has a 50% germination rate, but by using the logic of Lunar Gardening combined with the planting methods described in Anastasia by Vladimir Megre, you are sure to have a great crop of nutrient-rich, abundantly growing edibles that will be good for your garden and your body.
Feeling so independent on her potty at 5 months
Really enjoying her potty at 7 month
One nice thing about growing your own food is the innate benefits of eating what is in season. For example, the root vegetables and dark leafy veg that are harvested late in the fall are perfect for warming the body and grounding you for the upcoming winter. In contrast, the light peppers, tomatoes, peas, beans, and fruit (climbing/vertical plants) are great for cooling you down and calming your spirit to prepare to handle the heat ahead. Even if you can't grow your own food, keep this in mind when you are at the market and need to decide what food to put into your basket...1) focus on the produce section and 2) ask the produce worker what is local and in season and go with that!
Encouragement from Daddy at 8 months

Speaking of food, in 2 days I will have been on a raw foods diet for 1 month. I feel incredible! I've released 14 pounds of toxins and junk My rash/athletes foot on my right pinky toe is healing itself after 10 months of itching something awful. My cravings have ceased, for the most part (read blog It Is Time!). My energy is constant and level. My mental focus and clarity is on point and my emotions are relatively even keeled. My skin is still in the process of working out any blemishes and my body odor has improved the past several weeks. I REALLY need to get a colonic! (Refer to Resolution List from previous blog.) If I would just allow the toxins to come out through the colon hydrotherapy, then they wouldn't have to try and work their way our through my face in the form of acne or through other pores on my body in the form of smelly b.o. I really want to get one done so badly. I feel like it would do me such good! I read a great story of Shazzies first colonic experience recently and her account of it seemed so enjoyable and efficient! (http://shazzie.com)

So, on this special, beautiful, and joyous day, go dig in some dirt, go hug your kids, go eat a salad, go love up on your animals, and go thank Mother Earth for this amazing nature clock that ticks about time.

MENTIONED: Heirloom Seed Festival, Phases of the Moonhttp://www.diaperfreebaby.org/Diaper FreeCultivating DelightAnastasiahttp://shazzie.com


Have A Sunshine Day!



"To effectively communicate,
we must realize that we are all different
in the way we perceive the world
and use this understanding as a guide
to our communication with others"
~Tony Robbins

No comments:

Post a Comment