My Journey to Becoming Clean, Green and Soulful.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Her Green Plastic Watering Can

Thom Yorke, Radiohead frontman and longtime vegan, has written many lines that bewilder me, or frankly some words that I cannot understand over the music, but the intro to this song is perfect for today's blog:

Her green plastic watering can
For her fake Chinese rubber plant
In the fake plastic earth
That she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of rubber plans
To get rid of itself



Last night we watched another great documentary, Bag It. As usual, I took notes, in my current notebook (again, more on those later), and I can't wait to share!


  • When we talk about throwing something away, where is "away"?
  • Plastic is made to last a lifetime, yet it is the most disposed item in the world
  • Plastic is the #1 consumer item in the world
  • 100 Billion plastic bags are used every year in the US
  • 500 Billion plastic bags are used every year globally
  • The most disposed items in the world are bags, bottles and cups
  • 106,000 aluminum cans disposed of every second
  • The sale of bottled water surpassed all other beverages (alcoholic, non-alcholic) except soda
  • Somewhere in Germany they have an inspiring, progressive approach to not using plastic, didn't get the details...
  • The Yankee Stadium could be filled 3x a DAY with NYC trash
  • NYC uses 1 Billion plastic bags a year
  • Most landfills in the US are closed because they are either full or shut down due to leaching into nearby waterways...
  • www.365daysoftrash.com
  • Garbage Land book
  • "The Story of Stuff" documentary Annie Leonard
  • The recycle symbol doesn't not actually mean recycleable, most is just trash :(
  • Buy less stuff!
  • Great Pacific Grabage Patch is almost the size of US, "plastic soup"
  • B.E.A.C.H.
  • There is more plastic by weight than plankton in the ocean
  • Persistant Organic Pollutants "POPS" look like plankton to fish...food chain 4x
  • Albatros colony...thousands of dead birds all with plastic inside bodies
  • ALL of the big animals in the ocean population down 90%
  • ALL sea turtles in US waters are endangered or threatened
  • etc...
This movie reminded me of The Story of Stuff...another incredible SHORT film...The Story of Stuff film

One of my New Years Resolutions was to stop bringing plastic into the house, thus lessening the chances to buy it outside of the house. I make a conscious effort every single day, with every decision I make, to not use new plastic, and to slowly get rid of the plastic in my home. This is sooo difficult! And I'm not very good at it. Plastic is in everthing. It is everywhere. It is so vertsitle. I remember a commercial growing up about plastic and how it saves lives. This is so true, but boy is that like saying "don't look at the man behind the green curtain!"

I couldn't find the commercial I was thinking of, but this one is more of an example of how jaded the ad is.

My all time favorite commercial from my childhood....it even made me cry watching just now too! :)


I've been eating lots of yummy raw meals lately:










The best banana ice cream I've ever made! So thick and creamy. Penny watched me devour it :)

HAVE A SUNSHINE DAY!

Three things cannot long be hidden; 
the sun, the moon, and the truth.
~Gandhi

Mentioned: Bag It movieGarbage Land bookVideo about Great Pacific Garbage PatchB.E.A.C.H. )


1 comment: